By Stephanie Kay, Registered Holistic Nutritionist
Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 2lbs carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 crushed chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Full-Fat Yogurt
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- In a large pot, on medium heat, add olive oil and diced onion, and season with a pinch of sea salt. Cook for 5-7 minutes until onions are tender and translucent.
- Add diced garlic and cook for another 1 minute, watching it carefully to ensure it does not burn.
- Add cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon and chillies and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add chopped carrots and stir to combine with onion and spice mixture.
- Pour in stock, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 30-35 minutes until the carrots are tender and can be pierced with a fork.
- Once to soup has cooked, remove from the heat, squeeze in lemon juice, and using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with full-fat yogurt, spicy roasted chickpeas and harrisa.